Monday, October 27, 2008

The TOO Busy CUP

Do you ever get so wrapped up in your to dos and what's going on around you that you find yourself at that too familiar "overwhelmed point" and you just want to shut off? I'm embarrassed to say that I find myself in this place way too often. One thing in particular happens to me when I get in this place and want to "shut off" - I don't want to answer the phone or return phone calls that I know I need to - or I'll answer but I'm only partly "there" in the conversation. It's so bad but I get in administrative mode so email, text or a quick phone call is better but all that's doing is checking someone off the list and it's so impersonal. By doing this, I'm robbing myself of the chance to allow God to use them to touch my life or perhaps God wants to use me to touch theirs......

Last night I was faced with that very choice......I got a call from a dear friend who's been in Africa for months. I was busy working in my office at home on some stationery deadlines but knew in my heart I needed to take this call and am so thankful I did. We talked for over an hour and I can't tell you enough how much she blessed me during that conversation. We are soul sisters at heart and God gave us a sweet time together to catch up (talk about her upcoming wedding in 8 weeks..YEAH!), to encourage one another and to connect on a deep level because she's one of those dear friends who "gets" me. I hung up with my CUP definitely overflowing and was still able to meet my deadlines.

Funny how that happens when you "think" you have so much to do and you allow yourself to get so overwhelmed....but in reality if you just focus and get things done it's never as bad as the "thought" of what you had to do. Sure I went to bed a little later than I would have hoped but sacrificing a little sleep to bless and encourage someone else is sometimes the very thing we need!

Happy Monday....Cheers!

No comments: