Thursday, March 26, 2009

CUP of Nails (finger nails not man chore nails!)

Day 4:

I had acrylic nails since I was old enough to have a job....eek! I should have pulled out some pictures to show you when they were really long and red :) and had rhinestones on them......can you say suuuuuuu - weeeet!

Then I moved to pink and whites (loved them) and then I finally took them off and haven't looked back since. My sister had taken hers off before she got married and kept trying to talk me into it and then I was thinking if she can do it (she used to bite her nails something awful) then I could. A few years ago my church was trying to raise money for our new building and I kept thinking what can I give up to give a little more money.....my pink and whites cost me about $90 a month - $45 every other week. So that was the little nudge I needed and off they went. I've since talked many others into ditching the acrylics!!

Now the joy of trying to grow out my years of chemicals affixing themselves to my precious nails only to leave them with a couple layers missing and ridges like potato chips. It took a couple months but it was worth it!

You need 4 simple things to get great nails (in my opinion of course):

First thing to get your nails in shape is Nailtiques and it is the BEST.
If you aren't familiar with it it's just like a clear coat only it's a nail protein. Keep it on all the time, once in a while but the more the better - you'll thank me later I promise!! I use it all the time as a base coat or just as a clear coat. It comes in different formulas - I'm not really sure of the difference but I use #2.
TIP - Nailtiques comes in a few sizes and unless you are a maniac and put it on all the time (I mean disciplined like my Sis), I would recommend buying the smallest one because if you get the big one and don't use it all the time it thickens up on you quicker than nail polish I think. A small bottle is around $6-8 and you can get it at most beauty supply stores.

Now I have another MUST MUST MUST have and you MUST use - you with me here I say it's a MUST :).....
You've all seen this display I'm sure but if you've never used it you should give it a whirl (and it smells good too). I put this on my cuticles almost everyday driving to work. I have used this for years - it's a wonder drug for your cuticles and hands - they will thank me later and then they'll buy me a latte!!

The other 2 items are Rubbing Alcohol and quick dry top coat.
TIP - right before you paint your nails, put alcohol on a cotton ball and clean your nails with it and then polish. This helps keep your nail polish on a little longer than normal. That tip was free BTW ;)
People are always amazed that I do my own nails but ladies I cheat - I really do!! I do them at night - mostly while I'm working in my office or watching TV. I make sure I'm already in my PJs, ready for bed, etc. and have about 20-30 minutes before I tuck myself in. I'm a multi-tasker and have a hard time just sitting and waiting for my nails to completely dry - they can dry while I sleep! I always use a quick dry and get this I ALWAYS have polish on my fingers - I never color just inside the lines when it comes to my nails. Then when I get in the shower the next day.....wa-la I pick it off when my hands are good and wet. I know it's brilliant simply brilliant :). Someday they'll pay me the big bucks for this stuff!
If you're trying to grow out your nails - the best way to do it so they don't break or get brittle I have found is to keep polish on them all the time even if it's just clear!!
I see my blog is looking like so many others.......I'm such a follower!!
Tomorrow - EYES - wooot wooot (I just wanted to say that cuz Tracie just emailed me that today at the end of a fun sentence and I thought it was so cute and then as I kept saying it I realized it made me think of owls and you know how I LOVE owls.....!)
Cheers!

1 comment:

Jayme Solomon said...

Love how you had to clarify that this was about finger nails and not man chore nails. LOL! Too funny! :)